Boys 4th & 5th Grade
Division Coordinator – Barry Reid
The 4th and 5th Grade Boys age group is for boys primarily entering fourth and fifth grade in September. Typically they are boys who will be 10 years old or younger on July 31 of current year.
Teams are formed and parents should be notified by their coach in Mid to Late August. Typically practices will start in late August and continue one night a week until the end of September. Practice duration should be no more than 90 minutes. Practice night is determined by the coordinators, coach, and field and space availability. Games are primarily on Saturday mornings and afternoons, but some Sunday afternoons are possible. Season starts the weekend after Labor Day and continues through early to mid November.
The Fourth and Fifth grade program is based on the youth and small sided soccer programs developed by both the United States Soccer Federation (USSF) and US Youth Soccer Association (USYSA). This age group will play small-sided soccer 8v8 (seven field players and one goal keeper). This allows each player to have more playing time and a greater opportunity to touch the ball, participate and have FUN!! Other objectives for this age group include:
- FUN and a positive environment.
- Continuation to the basics of soccer.
- Continue to teach basic soccer skills; dribbling, simple moves, striking the ball with either foot.
- Introduction of more complex and or combination of moves.
- Continue to teach positional play, including the goal keeper and to further develop player, team skills and strategy. All players will be instructed in the role of defending and attacking positions. Each player will be rotated through the different positions during the game.
- U11 divisions are competitive with team standings and game scores kept.
- Competition among teams is expected, but the emphasis is on FUN, PARTICIPATION and SOCCER DEVELOPMENT. NOT GAME RESULTS. REMEMBER ALL TEAMS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, SO IT DOESN’T REALLY MATTER WHAT THE STANDINGS ARE DURING THE SEASON!
- Encourage fair play, good sportsmanship, and self-confidence.
- All players MUST wear SHIN GUARDS, covered entirely by the sock.
- Players shall not wear anything, which is dangerous to them self or another player, including jewelry, watches, rings, earrings — even for newly pierced ears (this is a FIFA rule designated to prevent injuries).
- Players with arm casts are permitted provided they are wrapped, padded and pose no danger to them self or another player, this is at the discretion of the referee.
- No Slide Tackling.
- Mouth guards are not required but recommended.
- Cups for boys are not required but recommended.
- Sport glasses for those requiring prescription eye wear are not required but recommended.
- Each player SHALL play a minimum of 50% of the total playing time. Equal play for all is strongly encouraged. It is also encouraged that each player plays a part of each half.
- Teams and coaches to line up and shake hands at the conclusion of each game.
- In cases where a team is short players or have no substitutes:
- Play with fewer players on the field, allowing the team with fewer players one substitute.
- The team with more players can loan players to the other team.
- Be creative!
- It’s about playing and having FUN!!
- In cases of hot weather and or when teams are short handed:
- Take extra water breaks, substitute players more often.
- Play quarters instead of halves or eighths instead of quarters.
- Players’ safety is everyone’s Number 1 priority.
Fourth & Fifth Grade Game Rules
- Size 4 soccer ball.
- 30 minute halves, 5 minute halftime break.
- All players must play at least half of the game.
- Scores or standings kept and end of season playoffs.
- Balls out of bounds are restarted with a throw-in, goal kick or corner kick. See detailed rules in the document below as to whom and when restarts are taken.
- Offside conforms to FIFA.
- All free kicks conform to FIFA with the exception that all opponents are at least eight (8) yards from the ball.
Colonial Middle School
716 Belvoir Road
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
There are three fields at this location designated CMS1, CMS2 and CMS3. See site plot plan for field location. CMS1 is the Lower field, CMS2 is the Upper field and CMS3 is the Football field. Parking ONLY permitted behind Colonial Middle School (CMS). Entrance to parking area is located off Belvoir Road.
PLYMOUTH TOWNSHIP DOES NOT ALLOW PARKING ON MAPLEWOOD ROAD. ALL VEHICLES PARKED ON MAPLEWOOD ROAD ARE SUBJECT TO BEING TOWED.